DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine
If you get this message, there is no need to panic. It likely means that either your computer has an outdated version of DirectX or you have some kind of graphics card issue. To fix the problem, do the following:
1. Restart Your Computer and the Game
Sometimes strange things happen to computers. So, the first thing you should always try is rebooting your computer. Then, try to run the game again.
2. Install Any Updates to the Game and to Windows
Epic Games and other game developers often release updates and patches to their games. Check to see if there is an update available for the game at the site where you downloaded it. If there is, install it and following any subsequent instructions, such as rebooting your computer.
You may also want to update Windows if there are any updates waiting to be installed.
3. Install or Update Your Graphics Card Driver
Sometimes a missing, corrupted or out-of-date graphics card driver can cause the error message. To update the graphics card driver in Windows 10, do the following:
- Click the Start button, and in the search bar type Device Manager, and then select this from the list of options.
- Expland the Display adapters category, right-click the name of your graphics card and choose Update Driver.
- Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If no driver is found, you can search for one on the website of the graphics card’s manufacturer, and then follow its instructions for installing it.
If for some reason updating the driver does not work, you can try reinstalling the driver by doing the following:
- Like in the previous steps, open the Device Manager and right-click on the name of the graphics card.
- Choose Uninstall.
- Restart your computer, and Windows will attempt to reinstall the graphics card driver.
4. Install the Latest Version of DirectX
DirectX is a Windows API that lets you run 3D software on your computer. Often Microsoft updates this API and game developers such as Epic Games make use of the changes to improve their games. Because of this, you need to periodically update your version of DirectX.
To check what version of DirectX your computer is using, click the Windows key and the R key at the same time. This will open the Run dialog box, and from there you should type dxdiag and click OK. This will open the DirectX Diagonsis Tool.
On the System tab, you will see the verion of DirectX installed on your computer, and from the Display tab you will see the Feature Levels installed. To run Fortnite, you need to have at least DirectX 11 and feature levels 10.0 installed. If you have an older version of DirectX, you need to download and install the latest version of DirectX.
Sometimes you may not be able to update DirectX to the proper version, because your operating system is too old. In this case you must install a newer version of Windows on your computer or buy a newer computer. You may also learn during the updating of DirectX that your graphics card is too old to support the latest version of DirectX. In this case, you must install a newer graphics card in your computer.
In conclusion, receiving a DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine error is not fatal. You can usually get your game running by updating your computer’s software and drivers. In the very worst case, you may have upgrade your version of Windows or get a new graphics card.